Friday, December 11, 2009

Remembering Days of [Not So] Long Ago

In the deepest part of the night, I often wake for a few moments of quiet solitude. The moon shines dimly creating shadows between the openings in the shades. One evening not so long ago, I heard whispering beside me. In the middle of our mattress, baby J lay awake. He was quietly cooing and watching the lines of his fingers in the dimly lit room. He didn't notice me. He just contentedly and quietly entertained himself until he finally drifted back into slumber.

As he lay there, it seemed almost reminiscent of his days still warmly tucked inside my womb. Because of the many complications encountered during my pregnancy, I had ultrasounds frequently. During those times, he would move slowly within his cramped quarters. He somehow seemed so comfortable. Those days of watching him through the window in my womb were highlights in our time together.

When still pregnant mommies mention that they long to deliver, I fondly remember those peaceful moments that he and I exclusively shared without interruption before his birth.

Mommie-dom truly is delightful. Every moment holds a welcome surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment