Monday, December 28, 2009

Everything I Know, I Learned From Being A Mommie

You think you know everything, until you become a parent...
Then you realize how little you really know.

I had heard it a million times before. Parents would make comments and I would smugly think, They have no idea who they are talking to. I knew from my vast knowledge of how the universe works that breastfeeding past one year old was only to prolong a mother's emotional attachment to her child, that diapers should be changed every 2 hours, that children should sleep in their own beds from birth, that people carrying their children in carriers were hippies, and that I would be the best parent on earth.

To be fair, I thought I would be the best parent on earth, mostly because I never thought that I would be a parent. I had often imagined myself with offspring and that I would be as nurturing as educating. My child would grow to be a highly functional, well-developed asset to society. Ha!

Each day I am reminded how little I know about the universe, nevermind the miraculous workings of a small child's rapidly developing heart and mind. So, despite my worst efforts, I am now the BF, CD, CS, BW mommie. And I love it! Parenthood is a delightful learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how God teaches us about life through being parents, huh? And it is so applicable to Him being our father, isn't it? Been meaning to write you back; thanks for your e-mail! I'm catching up on blog reading and e-mails today and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete