Monday, December 21, 2009

Sweet Potato Truck

** Please accept my sincerest condolensces for the prior blog. I have successfully removed it. It was meant to be silly and in no way distasteful. I am truly sorry. **

While Baby J is sleeping much more contentedly, we are still about 9 months behind most parents. Because his sleep had been interrupted so much in the first year of his life, he doesn't yet sleep through the night. I am mostly okay with this, because I usually go to bed shortly after he does and wake up when he does.

But last night something eerily unusual happened.

He went to sleep at his usual time-- about 8 pm. I retired for the evening at 9:17 pm. I was surprisingly restless. It was surprising because my boy was contentedly sleeping in his own big boy bed. He traditionally begins the night there and joins us when he wakes up between 1 am and 3 am. I tossed and turned for hours before finally looking at the clock to realize that it was 4 am and I still hadn't heard a peep.

I frantically thought, Oh no. Something must be wrong! To my pleasant surprise, nothing was wrong. In fact, everything was alright. And I returned to my bed to enjoy a few more hours of blissful and well-deserved sleep.

He stayed cozily sleeping in his bed until 6 am! At that time, I heard soft talking coming from his bed. There he sat, happily talking to himself, waiting for me to swoop him up. This morning was unrealistically ideal for a toddler. He walked around and played by himself. Just before he started getting ready for his early morning nap, I found him in the kitchen with a sweet potato. There he sat pretending to drive the root vegetable with his tiny hands while making Vrooom sounds.

I love this boy more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment