Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Still good people out there...

Every once in a while, I am bombarded with a number of obstacles that make me wonder why people can't be a little nicer. I know the obvious reasons, but have always believed in the very essence of the Golden Rule.

Do to others as you wish to be done to you.

But often people reverse that catchy and appropriate phrase making it "Do to others as they have done to you".

This can grow exhausting while trying to constantly combat the same attitude. When cut off while driving, receiving a rude customer service representative on the other line, and becoming the backlash of someone's bad day, it can be very difficult to hold the tongue (or the horn).

Thankfully, I have someone to call on who can always help me. And he always comes through, even if it is making me choke on my own tongue until I remember.

But then there are days when people surprise me in the opposite respect. Today was one of those days. The most outstanding example was an older woman. I had gone to the salon to get my haircut. Baby J was being curiously well-behaved, but still a little antsy. In the mirror, I saw an older woman. She asked me if it was okay if she sat beside him and read him one of his stories. I was silently surprised, but said okay. For ten minutes she sat with him and kept him company all in my view. I could tell that his sweet personality made her day. Little did she know that she was improving mine. As we left, she asked if it was okay to give him a hug. I told her "of course". He gave her a wonderful bear hug! And her eyes watered a bit. Then she told me how much she appreciated seeing such a well-behaved boy, that it breaks her heart a little when she sees children rampaging through stores and parents granting their every whim.

Since become a mommie, I have learned how valuable these pearls of genuine wisdom are. This reminds me that more often I should offer my assistance and kind words to those in vulnerable states. Mommies definitely fit in that category. Thank you to all who continually do this! You now only improve the days of others but genuinely impact the course of their lives!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find your cute blog layout?! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an "experimental" layout google offered. I don't think it is available anymore, but they let me keep it. If you go to the lab icon in your dashboard, you might find some.

    ReplyDelete