Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mommie, what's for dinner?

I am a self-proclaimed experimental chef. I am always trying new things and creating from leftovers. I often find myself chiming in when someone says they have no idea what to make for dinner. So, I want to share some of my leftover concoctions and minimal ingredient recipes that have gone over very well. I will tag the key ingredients for quick future reference.

Tonight, for instance, I used leftover baked chicken and gravy to make a chicken pot pie. This recipe works well with leftover turkey, too, and only requires 5 common ingredients in addition to the chicken/turkey and gravy.

2 c. chicken or turkey, diced or pulled apart
2 c. gravy (if you don't have any or not enough, make some quickly with bouillon or broth)
1 c. Potatoes, diced and cooked unitl soft
1 small onion, diced
1 c. mixed vegetables, frozen
Refrigerated pie crust, usually 2 per pkg (top and bottom)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc. to taste

Here goes...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line a pie or casserole dish with one pie crust. In a separate bowl, mix together the already diced and cooked potatoes, diced onion, still frozen mixed vegetables, and chicken or turkey. Add gravy and gently mix until it evenly coats the chicken and vegetable mixture. Season to taste. Spoon mixture into pie or casserole dish. Cover with second pie crust and crimp edges. Using a fork, poke a few holes into the top crust. Put in the oven and set the timer for 1 hour. Slice and serve within 10 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I'm always looking for new ideas for leftovers. I'll give it a try. Miss you!

    Love U bunches, Angela Renae

    ReplyDelete