Monday, February 27, 2012

This past weekend, we attended a 2-day circuit assembly. (As Jehovah's Witnesses we attend a few special events throughout the year which focus on a Scripture based theme. For resources with similar Scripture based topics, visit www.watchtower.org) Attending such an occasion is a big deal in our home. I look forward to visiting with old friends not often seen during the lunch break and after the sessions. I feel spiritually filled up. With a 3-year-old however, I have learned the true definition of a new word; on that I thought that I knew well in past years. Each year since his birth, it has taken on a new meaning. This year, "exhausted" has reached an entirely new level.

I say this, not to complain. I love my boy more than myself. He is not a demanding child (the threes are exhibiting a bit more of this behavior, but I attribute that to our chaotic lifestyle). [Excuse me for a moment, "J, what are you doing? Don't dump your cereal out of the bowl please. Stop driving your trains through your spilled cereal please." Clean up, clean up everybody do your part. Clean up, clean up....] Sorry about that. I am back now. I say this because I keep hearing the same message. It is one that is directed at those parenting, but really resonates with me on a deeper level.

The theme this weekend was "Let your name be sanctified" based on the model prayer (aka: Our Father or the Lord's Prayer) by Jesus Christ at Matthew 6:9. One part was directed at parents and how Jehovah's name can be sanctified (made holy) through the methods we use to rear our children. One overseer, whose speaking ability really inspires me, spoke about the need to maintain an open line of communication with our children. In doing so, he said to prepare ourselves as parents to be shocked. If we are prepared to be shocked, we won't spazz out. And if we don't want to hear what our children have to say because it will freak us out (his words, not mine... Lol.) to overreact the first time they confide in us or ask questions about sex or friends or their bodies. I have always believed this to be true. As a FT working mom, I struggle with this, but I think that I do a good job. My boy often runs to me saying, "I'm frustrated", "I'm tired", "I'm happy." I stop whatever important to me thing I am doing and try to help him resolve the important to him problem. It usually relates to toys or sharing, but it is the most important thing in the world to him.

Now for the lesson that I learned. I, like most people I know, struggle with feelings of worthlessness. I have a difficult time feeling that I deserve a personal relationship with my Father in heaven. I feel that my problems are so unimportant in relation to what he deals with on a daily basis. But he never asks us to treat other individuals differently from how he treats us. And while it is sometimes frustrating to drop what I am doing to respond to J's problem, it is deeply satisfying when I find a way to help him work through it and equip him with the skills to overcome the same obstacle in the future. Our God doesn't get frustrated when we interrupt him. How much joy it must bring our God when we ask for his help! All these years, I've been looking at my relationship with Him as a child. I never realized that becoming a parent would equip me to finally work towards overcoming this major obstacle. Thank you for that "food at the proper time"! (Matthew 24:45-47)

Long story short... It was a very long two days and I was only able to sit through a few discourses, but I think that I learned something that will forever impact my relationship with my heavenly Father. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment